DUI Questions and Answers


Do I have to report anything other than alcohol-related convictions?Yes, under 14 CFR Part 61, you must report alcohol-related administrative actions, whether a conviction took place or not. Administrative actions and convictions are also reportable under Part 67, the airman application for a medical certificate. Your AME will go by the guidelines here.

If the charge of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is reduced to Reckless, Careless, or Negligent driving by the court, do I have to report it?
No, we do not consider a conviction for Reckless, Careless, or Negligent Driving a reportable motor vehicle action (MVA). However, you must report the first suspension, if any.

How long do I have to report my alcohol-related motor vehicle action (MVA)?You have 60 days from the effective date of the administrative action (driver license suspension, revocation, or cancellation) or conviction. (The 60-day period does not begin with the arrest date.)

What happens when I report an alcohol-related MVA within the 60 days?

When you report an alcohol-related MVA we:

             Compile a case file

             Verify your airman status

             Get your driver history from the state that holds the record

             Compare information from the Notification Letter to the information on your driver history

Your file will be closed if:

             You are not in violation of 61.15(d) (two MVAs within three years)

             You disclosed the action on your Application for Airman Medical (if applicable)

             You comply with 14 CFR 61.15(e) (Notification Letter)

I received an alcohol-related MVA, but failed to report it within the 60 days. What should I do?Report the MVA as soon as you become aware of the reporting requirement. A written report received after 60 days, but before we discover the MVA, is normally considered a mitigating factor when determining sanction.

What happens if I fail to report an alcohol-related MVA and FAA finds out about it?FAA begins a formal investigation. We will send you a Letter of Investigation giving you the opportunity to respond, in writing, to the alleged violation(s).

Will FAA discover that I have an alcohol-related MVA if I don't report it?
Yes, FAA Form 8500-8 "Application for Airmen Medical" contains an express consent provision which authorizes the National Driver Register (NDR) to release information about your driving record to FAA. Information on the NDR record will contain pointers to states that keep a driving history on you. FAA will get these records to determine if you have a reportable alcohol-related MVA.

Who has access to the records kept by the DUI/DWI Compliance Program?Only investigators assigned to the DUI/DWI program have access to the information files.

I have more questions. How can I contact your office for more information?You may contact a DUI/DWI investigator Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT at (405) 954-4848. Please Note: You must send a written notification of your alcohol-related MVA. You may not give this information by telephone.